Nouveau

Mahackemo YTB-223 - Histoire

Mahackemo YTB-223 - Histoire


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Mahackemo

Le principal chef d'une petite tribu indienne réputée avoir vendu des terres à des colons le long de la rivière Norfolk dans le sud-ouest du Connecticut au début des années 1640.

(YTB-223 : dp. 386 ; 1. 110' ; né 26'5" ; dr. 11'4" ; s. U k. ;
une. 2,50 cal. mg.)

Mahackemo (YTB-223) a été mis en chantier le 28 décembre 1943 par le chantier naval d'Elizabeth City, Elizabeth City, N.C.; lancé le 15 mai 1944; parrainé par Mme J. MeCraken; et mis en service le 30 octobre 1944.

Mahackemo a opéré dans la région de Norfolk-Hampton Roads jusqu'à ce qu'il se présente à Philadelphie le 16 avril 1946 pour un service temporaire. Réaffecté le 28 juin au 6e district naval, il s'est rendu à Charleston, Caroline du Sud, de là à Green Cove Springs, en Floride, où il a été mis hors service dans la flotte de réserve de l'Atlantique le 16 août 1946. Il a été ordonné au service actif le 21 juillet 1948 mais le 11 septembre 1948, alors qu'il était remorqué jusqu'à la base navale de Newport, RI, le Mahackemo a coulé au large du cap Hatteras, en Caroline du Nord, par 2 200 brasses d'eau. Elle a été rayée du registre naval le 21 octobre 1948.


Un chercheur découvre un lien familial avec Roger Ludow

L'ascendance de Madeleine Eckerts remonte au fondateur de Norwalk, Roger Ludlowe, qui a acheté le territoire du chef Mahackemo.

Photo de l'heure / Erik Trautmann

L'ascendance de Madeleine Eckerts remonte au fondateur de Norwalk, Roger Ludlowe, qui a acheté le territoire du chef Mahackemo.

NORWALK - Si un événement s'est produit dans l'histoire de Norwalk, il est plus que probable que l'historienne locale Madeleine Eckert l'ait recherché.

Au cours de ses années d'innombrables incursions à l'hôtel de ville de Norwalk pour examiner les archives de la vieille ville, l'experte du passé de Norwalk a été stupéfaite d'apprendre récemment qu'elle passait sans le savoir par un morceau de sa propre histoire familiale dans l'atrium de l'hôtel de ville.

Sa nouvelle appréciation de la fresque WPA « Achat de Norwalk » représentant l'achat de Norwalk par Roger Ludlow en 1640 au chef Mahackamo, est venue de la découverte de ses liens familiaux avec Ludlow.

"Je faisais des recherches pour quelqu'un et j'ai découvert que je suis la 9e arrière-petite-fille de Gabriel Ludlow, le frère de Roger Ludlow", a déclaré Eckert. "Je ne savais pas que j'avais cette merveilleuse connexion Norwalk."

Originaire de Virginie et résidente de longue date de Norwalk avec son mari Ed, elle a retracé sa lignée avec Thomas Ludlow et Jane Pyle Ludlow d'Angleterre, et leurs fils Gabriel et son jeune frère Roger.

"Je viens seulement de commencer à rechercher ce lien familial", a déclaré Eckert. "J'ai trouvé beaucoup plus d'informations sur mon 9e grand-oncle Roger Ludlow que sur Gabriel. Il n'y a aucune trace que Gabriel Ludlow ait quitté l'Angleterre, mais sa fille - et la nièce de Roger Ludlow - Sarah Ludlow a épousé le colonel John Carter de Corotoman, Comté de Lancaster, Virginie. John et Sarah Carter étaient les ancêtres de nombreuses personnes illustres, dont Carter Braxton et Benjamin Harrison V, tous deux signataires de la Déclaration d'indépendance, le président William Henry Harrison, le président Benjamin Harrison et le général Robert E. Lee.

Au début de 1640, Roger Ludlow acheta un terrain au Siwanoy Sachem Mahackemo situé dans la région qui allait devenir Norwalk, Connecticut. Ludlow passa un contrat avec quatorze hommes pour la plantation initiale de Norwalk, et en 1649, Nathaniel Ely et Richard Olmstead devinrent les deux premiers colons.

"Il a agi aussi vite qu'il le pouvait en recrutant Nathaniel Ely et Richard Olmstead, permettant à ce groupe spécifique de colons de venir à Norwalk", a déclaré Eckert. "S'il n'y avait pas Ludlow, la pierre du fondateur au cimetière historique d'East Norwalk aurait un ensemble de noms différent."

Roger Ludlow (15901664) était un avocat, magistrat, officier militaire et colon anglais. Ludlow a navigué vers l'Amérique en mai 1630 à bord du navire Mary & John avec son épouse Mary Cogan, belle-sœur du gouverneur John Endicott du Massachusetts. Il a aidé à rédiger des lois pour la colonie de la baie du Massachusetts, et avant de venir dans le Connecticut, Ludlow était gouverneur adjoint de la colonie de la baie du Massachusetts (1634-1635.)

Ludlow a rédigé un document appelé les Ordres fondamentaux, qui a été adopté le 14 janvier 1639. Les Ordres fondamentaux du Connecticut sont la première constitution écrite au monde pour un peuple autonome, et le document dont le Connecticut tire son titre, " L'État de constitution."

L'un des représentants du Connecticut dans les négociations qui ont conduit le Connecticut à la confédération des colonies, en 1646, Ludlow a été invité par le tribunal général du Connecticut à rédiger un ensemble complet de lois « fondées sur la jurisprudence et l'autorité et adaptées aux nécessités de la nouvelle civilisation." Le résultat fut « Le Code des lois de 1650 », ou Code Ludlow, selon les recherches d'Eckert.

"Au début de 1639, le rival politique de Ludlow du Massachusetts John Haynes, qui est venu au Connecticut peu de temps après Ludlow, a été élu gouverneur. Ludlow a alors choisi de prendre congé de Hartford et Windsor et a obtenu une charte de la Cour générale pour commencer un règlement à "Pequannocke " (aujourd'hui Bridgeport). Il est parti avec un groupe de colons partageant les mêmes idées de Windsor, Watertown et Concord pour acheter une propriété le long de la côte de Long Island Sound à l'ouest de la colonie de New Haven. Pendant cette tâche, Ludlow a rappelé l'attrait de la des marais salants à l'ouest de la rivière Pequonnock près de "Unquowa" et y a acheté des terres à l'indigène Sachem et a fondé la ville de Fairfield", selon une recherche soumise par Eckert.

"Beaucoup de gens pensent à Roger Ludlow principalement dans la colonie de Fairfield", a déclaré Eckert. "Mais je défierais quiconque de trouver un fondateur de Norwalk plus reconnu à Norwalk."

Eckert a cité 12 hommages Norwalk actuels et passés à Roger Ludlow: monument Roger Ludlow à Gregory Boulevard Ludlow Manor Ludlow Park Ludlow Commons, l'ancien Roger Ludlow Jr. High School Ludlow Shopping Center Ludlow Village City Hall WPA murale marqueur Connecticut State à East Wall Street et East Avenue pièces commémoratives-300e anniversaire Norwalk, Connecticut-Mahackemo-1640-Ludlow-Norwalke Roger Ludlow Hotel, anciennement Mohackemo Hotel à South Norwalk Roger Ludlow cigares fabriqués par BJ Reynolds, 12 S. Main St. et Roger Ludlow Men's Shop sur Rue Washington.

Ludlow a acheté des zones à l'est de la rivière Norwalk (aujourd'hui East Norwalk et Saugatuck) le 26 février 1641 selon le calendrier grégorien ou le 26 février 1640 selon le calendrier julien alors encore couramment utilisé.

"Norwalk était alors une zone souhaitable pour la colonisation", a déclaré le mari de Madeleine, Ed Eckert. "Il y avait une rivière fantastique de deux milles, les îles Norwalk, une abondance de coquillages et de riches terres agricoles."

"Une copie d'un acte de vente fait par les Indiens Norwalke au maître Roger Ludlowe, de Fairfield, comme suit, le 26 février 1640.

Un accord passé entre les Indiens de Norwalke et Roger Ludlowe : il est convenu que les Indiens de Norwalke, pour et en contrepartie de huit brasses de wampum, six coates, tenn hachettes, tenn houes, tenn knifes, tenn ciseaux, tenn jewse- harpes, tenn fathoms tabackoe, trois bouilloires de six mains environ, et tenn lunettes, ont accordé toutes les terres, prairies, pâturages, arbres, quels qu'ils soient, et terrains entre [sic] les deux [sic] rivières, celles appelées Norwalke, et l'autre Soakatuck, au milieu des rivières sayde, de la mer un jour à pied dans le pays au dit Roger Ludlowe, et ses héritiers et ayants droit pour toujours, et qu'aucun Indien ou autre ne contestera ou revendiquera aucun terrain dans le dit fleuves ou limites, ni déranger ledit Roger, ses héritiers ou ayants droit dans l'enceinte susdite.

En vertu de quoi les parties y ont indifféremment mis la main. Roger Ludlowe."

L'acte a été marqué par les Indiens Norwalk Tomakergo, Tokeneke, Prosewanenos, Sachem Mahackemo, et assisté par Thomas Ludlowe.


Ce jour dans l'histoire militaire des États-Unis

1780 – Le général Benedict Arnold trahit les États-Unis en promettant secrètement de céder le fort de West Point à l'armée britannique. Arnold dont le nom est devenu synonyme de traître s'est enfui en Angleterre après la conspiration bâclée. Son co-conspirateur, le major John Andre, espion britannique, a été pendu.

1945 – Une proclamation au peuple allemand est signée aujourd'hui, annonçant officiellement la création du Conseil de contrôle allié et son accession à l'autorité suprême en Allemagne.

1952 - En tant que paire de Northrop F-89 Scorpions du 27th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Griffiss AFB, New York, effectuez un défilé aérien, Northrop F-89C-30-NO, 51-5781, se désintègre en vol lors d'un affichage à la Exposition internationale de l'aviation à l'aéroport principal de Detroit-Wayne, Detroit, Michigan, tuant le pilote du Scorpion, le major Donald E. Adams, un as de l'aviation coréenne (6,5 victimes), l'opérateur radar le capitaine Kelly et un spectateur. La cause s'est avérée être de graves problèmes aéroélastiques de torsion qui ont conduit à la mise à la terre de tous les F-89C et à leur retour à l'usine pour une refonte de la structure de l'aile.

1955 - Un Vought F7U-3 Cutlass, BuNo 129592, de VF-124, manque tous les fils lors d'un atterrissage à bord de l'USS Hancock (CVA-19), opérant au large d'Hawaï, et heurte la barrière. "Bien qu'il n'ait subi que de légers dommages, il a été radié et n'a plus jamais volé."

1966 - Le pilote d'essai Pete Knight a piloté le X-15 à 30 541 mètres (100 200 pieds) et à Mach 5,21.

1984 - Un T-2C Buckeye nord-américain de la marine américaine s'écrase dans la baie de Chesapeake peu après le décollage de NAS Patuxent River, Maryland, tuant l'élève et blessant grièvement l'instructeur.

Mhansen2

Membre Or

1803 – Le capitaine Meriwether Lewis quitte Pittsburgh pour rejoindre le capitaine William Clark et commencer leur périple vers l'océan Pacifique.

1862 - Le PSS W. B. Terry était un vapeur de transport à roue arrière de l'Union de 175 tonnes, utilisé comme bateau de répartition armé avec deux Parrotts de 6 livres. Elle a été construite en 1856 à Belle Vernon, en Pennsylvanie.

Le 21 août 1861, W. B. Terry a été capturé à Paducah, Ky. par l'USS Lexington pour trafic avec la Confédération et battant pavillon confédéré.

Elle a ensuite été capturée par les confédérés et utilisée pour transporter des troupes à travers la rivière Tennessee.

Le 31 août 1862, W. B. Terry PSS s'échoua à 20 pieds du rivage au pied de la rivière Duck Sucks en remontant la rivière Tennessee. Elle a ensuite été dépouillée de ses meubles et brûlée.

1863 - Sumter était un transport de troupes confédéré de 212 tonnes, construit en 1860 à New Albany, Ind.

Dans la nuit du 31 août 1863, alors qu'il transportait plus de 600 soldats à Charleston, le Sumter fut accidentellement bombardé et coulé par le feu confédéré du fort Wagner et de la batterie Gregg, le prenant pour un navire de l'Union.

Sumter a heurté un banc à la fin de Fort Sumter et a coulé avec au moins quarante morts, un blessé et huit disparus. Plus de 600 officiers et hommes ont été sauvés par des barges de Fort Sumter et des canonnières confédérées voisines. La plupart de l'équipement confédéré à bord a été perdu. L'épave a ensuite été utilisée comme cible d'entraînement.

1865 – Le gouvernement fédéral américain a estimé que la guerre de Sécession avait coûté environ huit milliards de dollars. Les coûts humains ont été estimés à plus d'un million de morts ou de blessés.

1921 - Le dirigeable D-6 de l'US Navy, A5972, avec une enveloppe de type C construite par Goodyear en 1920 et une voiture fermée spéciale construite par la Naval Aircraft Factory, est détruit dans un incendie d'essence dans le hangar de la Naval Air Station Rockaway avec deux petits dirigeables , le C-10 et le dirigeable Goodyear H-1, A5973, le seul modèle H, un ballon d'observation motorisé à deux places construit sur le modèle du Goodyear commercial "Pony Blimp", et le ballon cerf-volant AP.

1925 - U.S. Navy Naval Aircraft Factory PN-9, BuNo A-6878, '1', un hydravion disparaît lors d'un vol de San Francisco à Hawaï avec une perte d'équipage signalée. Le PN-9 n'était pas réellement perdu, il était juste en retard. Après être resté dans les airs pendant 25 heures et avoir parcouru 1 841 des 2 400 milles jusqu'à Pearl Harbor, il a atterri en toute sécurité en mer, l'équipage sous le commandement du commandant John Rodgers, l'aviateur naval n° 2, a gréé les voiles du tissu de l'aile inférieure et a navigué les 450 derniers milles, atteignant Kauai le 10 septembre. Cela a été un record de distance de vol en hydravion pendant plusieurs années. L'avion est réparé et expédié à San Diego, en Californie.

1939 – À midi, malgré les menaces d'intervention britannique et française, le leader nazi Adolf Hitler signe un ordre d'attaquer la Pologne et les forces allemandes se déplacent vers la frontière.

1943 - Boeing B-17F-50-BO Flying Fortress, 42-5451, du 582d Bomb Squadron, 393d Bomb Group, piloté par James A. McRaven,
s'écrase à deux milles au nord-est de Kearney Army Air Field, Nebraska, lors d'un vol d'entraînement de routine, tuant les huit membres d'équipage. Le 393d a été réaffecté à Kearney AAF de Sioux City AAB, Iowa, cette date.

1945 – Le général MacArthur établit le commandement suprême des forces alliées dans le port principal de Tokyo, en tant que premier étranger à prendre en charge le Japon depuis 1000 ans.

1945 – Les troupes japonaises restantes aux Philippines se rendent officiellement.

1945 – La garnison japonaise de l'île Marcus se rend à l'amiral américain Whiting.

1949 - Six des 16 anciens combattants de l'Union survivants de la guerre civile ont participé au dernier campement de la Grande Armée de la République, tenu à Indianapolis, Indiana.

1951 – Les anciens ennemis de la guerre mondiale se sont réunis de nouveau à San Francisco pour finaliser les négociations sur le traité de paix mettant officiellement fin à la Seconde Guerre mondiale.

1954 - Le Sole Cessna XL-19B Bird Dog, 52-1804, c/n 22780A, modifié avec un turbopropulseur Boeing XT-50-BO-1 de 210 shp, s'écrase à 3,2 km à l'ouest de Sedgwick, Kansas.

1954 – En vertu des accords de Genève, un flux de près d'un million de réfugiés du nord au sud du Vietnam commence.

1955 – Le secrétaire d'État John Foster Dulles soutient la position du président sud-vietnamien Ngo Dinh Diem concernant son refus de tenir des « élections nationales et générales » pour réunifier les deux États vietnamiens. Bien que ces élections aient été prévues par les accords de Genève de juillet 1954, Diem et ses partisans aux États-Unis ont réalisé que si les élections avaient lieu, Ho Chi Minh et le nord plus peuplé gagneraient probablement, réunissant ainsi le Vietnam sous la bannière communiste. En conséquence, il refusa de tenir les élections et la séparation du Nord et du Sud devint bientôt définitive.

1956 - Quatorzième Lockheed U-2A, 56-6687, article 354, livré à la Central Intelligence Agency le 27 juillet 1956. S'est écrasé à Groom Lake, Nevada cette date lors d'un vol d'entraînement de nuit, tuant le pilote Frank G. Grace, Jr. Le pilote est devenu désorienté par les lumières près de l'extrémité de la piste et a percuté un poteau téléphonique.

1956 - Boeing WB-50D Superfortress, 49-315, c/n 16091, "The Golden Heart" (construit comme un B-50D-115-BO), du 58th Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, de Eielson AFB, Alaska, s'est écrasé tôt dans la matinée de cette date sur une île sablonneuse de la rivière Susitna, à 50 milles au nord-ouest d'Anchorage, en Alaska, tuant les 11 membres d'équipage. Le vol a été entendu pour la dernière fois à 03 h 02, heure locale, alors qu'il était au-dessus de Talkeetna, une station d'enregistrement située à 50 milles au nord de l'île de dix milles de long. L'épave a été retrouvée environ 5 heures et demie plus tard par un membre du 71e Escadron de sauvetage aérien. « Tout ce qui restait lorsque les hélicoptères ont atterri sur les lieux de l'accident était un tas de décombres fumants. »

1957 - USAF Douglas C-124C Globemaster II, 52-1021, exploité par le 1er escadron stratégique, s'écrase lors d'une approche aux instruments de la base aérienne de Biggs à El Paso, Texas, États-Unis, par mauvais temps après un vol de Hunter AFB près de Savannah, Géorgie, États-Unis. 5 équipages sont tués, 10 blessés.

1961 – Un mur de béton a remplacé la clôture en fil de fer barbelé qui séparait l'Allemagne de l'Est et de l'Ouest, il s'appellerait le mur de Berlin.

1962 - Les deux derniers dirigeables de l'US Navy ZPG-3W ont effectué un dernier vol de cérémonie au-dessus de Lakehurst - le journal de base a noté, "Ce vol met fin à l'exploitation des dirigeables non rigides à Lakehurst."

1963 - Lors d'une réunion du Conseil de sécurité nationale, Paul Kattenburg est devenu le premier responsable américain connu à proposer le retrait du Vietnam. Il s'était rendu à plusieurs reprises au Sud-Vietnam pour les affaires du Département d'État dans les années 1950 et au début des années 1960, et il est devenu convaincu que le régime de Ngo Dinh Diem ne survivrait jamais et que le Vietcong finirait par l'emporter. Sa recommandation a été sommairement rejetée par Dean Rusk et Robert McNamara, et Kattenburg a été rapidement coupé du processus de prise de décision consultatif sur le Vietnam.

1990 – L'Allemagne de l'Est et de l'Ouest a signé un traité pour se réunir légalement et politiquement.

1991 - Un missile Tomahawk lancé à partir d'un navire de guerre dans le golfe du Mexique pour récupérer sur une cible sur les plages d'essai à Eglin AFB, en Floride, manque par

100 milles, descendant huit milles à l'est de Jackson, Alabama,

60 milles au nord de Mobile. " Quelques minutes après la chute du missile près de Jackson, une équipe de récupération est arrivée par hélicoptère. De telles équipes sont stationnées le long de la trajectoire de vol du missile lors d'un test afin qu'elles puissent se rendre sur les lieux du crash dans les 20 minutes, peu importe où le Tomahawk tombe.

La cause s'est avérée être deux vis incorrectes utilisées pour assembler un aileron de queue, a déclaré Denny Kline, un porte-parole du Pentagone pour le projet de missile de croisière de la Marine, le 13 décembre 1991. Une vis, frottant contre une bobine d'actionneur, a désactivé l'un des deux ailerons du missile. "Quelqu'un lors de l'assemblage a mis deux vis, qui étaient modérément trop longues. Eh bien, en fait, dans ce cas extrêmement trop long car il est physiquement entré en contact avec une bobine. Tout s'est bien passé pendant la première heure et 21 minutes, mais avec le temps, le revêtement protecteur a été usé et est descendu jusqu'à la partie enroulée de la bobine et l'a court-circuité », a déclaré Kline. En conséquence, un aileron a fonctionné correctement mais l'autre n'a pas fonctionné lorsque le missile devait effectuer un virage pré-planifié, ce qui l'a amené à s'écraser en Alabama. Les mauvaises vis ont été mises en place par General Dynamics Corp., a déclaré Susan Boyd, porte-parole du Pentagone pour le programme de missiles. Quatre Tomahawks ont débarqué dans des zones civiles depuis que la Marine a commencé les essais dans le golfe en 1985. Il n'y a eu aucun blessé.

Mhansen2

Membre Or

1781 - La flotte française piège la flotte britannique à Yorktown, en Virginie.

1807 - L'ancien vice-président américain Aaron Burr est acquitté du complot visant à annexer des parties de la Louisiane et du territoire espagnol au Mexique afin de les utiliser pour l'établissement d'une république indépendante. Il a été acquitté au motif que, bien qu'il ait conspiré contre les États-Unis, il n'était pas coupable de trahison parce qu'il n'avait pas commis un « acte manifeste », une exigence de la loi régissant la trahison.

1821 - William Becknell a dirigé un groupe de commerçants d'Independence, Missouri, vers Santa Fe sur ce qui allait devenir le Santa Fe Trail.

1849 - La Convention constitutionnelle de Californie a lieu à Monterey.

1864 - Le PSS William V. Gillum était un bateau à aubes à roues latérales de l'Union construit en 1855 à New Albany, dans l'Indiana. Il pesait 70 tonnes et transportait une cargaison de bois de la Nouvelle-Orléans à Matamoras, au Mexique. Il s'échoua et fit naufrage dans le golfe du Mexique le 1er septembre 1864. Les officiers et l'équipage furent secourus par la goélette mexicaine Cory.

1866 – Manuelito, le dernier chef Navaho, se rend à Fort Wingate, Nouveau-Mexique.

1930 - Le coureur Curtiss XF6C-6, A-7147, s'écrase lors de la course pour le trophée Thompson à Chicago, Illinois, tuant le pilote du Corps des Marines des États-Unis, le capitaine Arthur H. Page. La seule entrée militaire, Page a gagné et augmenté une avance précoce mais au 17e des 20 tours, s'est écrasé à sa mort, victime d'un empoisonnement au monoxyde de carbone. Le terrain d'aviation des Marines à Parris Island, en Caroline du Sud, est nommé Page Field en son honneur.

1939 – À 4 h 45, les forces allemandes envahissent la Pologne sans déclaration de guerre.

1941 - Les États-Unis assument la responsabilité des convois transatlantiques d'Argentia, au Canada, jusqu'au méridien de l'Islande. La flotte américaine de l'Atlantique annonce la formation de la Denmark Strait Patrol. Deux croiseurs lourds et quatre destroyers sont affectés à la force. L'US Navy est désormais autorisée à escorter des convois dans l'Atlantique contenant des navires marchands américains.

1942 – Un juge fédéral de Sacramento, en Californie, a confirmé la détention en temps de guerre d'Américains d'origine japonaise ainsi que de ressortissants japonais.

1943 - "Great Falls, Mont., 2 septembre. (AP) - Dix membres d'équipage d'un bombardier quadrimoteur de la base aérienne de l'armée de Great Falls, ont été tués tôt dans la journée lorsque le navire s'est écrasé à cinq miles à l'est de Fort Benton, ont été identifiés ce soir par le capitaine John R. Lloyd, agent des relations publiques de la base, comme suit : Sergent Robert H. Hall, Coldwater, Michigan Sergent John T. Huff, Cherokee, Kan. Sergent Carl E. Lower, Van Wert, Ohio Sergent Chester W Peko, Throop, Pa. Soldat de première classe Paul Peterson, Colfax, Wisconsin Sergent Curio C. Thrementi, Vassar, Michigan Lieutenant Harold L. Wonders, Waterloo, Iowa Lieutenant Warren H. Maginn, Glendale, Los Angeles Lieutenant Jack Y. Fisk, Los Angeles, et le lieutenant Arnold J. Gardiner, New York. L'accident s'est produit lors d'un vol d'entraînement de routine." Boeing B-17F-35-BO Flying Fortress, 42-5128, du 612th Bomb Squadron, 401st Bomb Group, était piloté par le lieutenant Maginn.

1945 - Les Américains ont été informés de la capitulation officielle du Japon qui a mis fin à la Seconde Guerre mondiale. En raison du décalage horaire, c'était le 2 septembre dans la baie de Tokyo, où la cérémonie a eu lieu.

1950 – Le capitaine de l'US Air Force Iven C. Kincheloe, 51e escadre de chasseurs-intercepteurs, remporte sa cinquième victoire aérienne dans son F-86 Sabre « Ivan » pour devenir le 10e as de la guerre de Corée. Kincheloe a représenté quatre MiG en six jours.

1951 – Au Presidio de San Francisco, les États-Unis, l'Australie et la Nouvelle-Zélande signent le pacte ANZUS, une alliance de sécurité conjointe pour régir leurs relations.

1952 - Plusieurs tornades balayent Carswell AFB, Texas, détruisant le Convair B-36B Peacemaker, 44-92051, et endommageant 82 autres du 11th Bomb Group, 7th Bomb Wing, dont dix à l'usine Convair de l'autre côté de la base de Fort Worth . Le général Curtis LeMay est contraint de retirer la 19e division aérienne du plan de guerre, et la base a travaillé 84 heures par semaine jusqu'à ce que les réparations soient effectuées. 26 B-36 ont été retournés à Convair pour réparation, et le dernier avion jugé réparable a de nouveau décollé le 11 mai 1953.

1961 - L'Union soviétique a mis fin à un moratoire sur les essais atomiques avec une explosion nucléaire en surface en Asie centrale.

1970 - Un Vought F-8J Crusader, BuNo 150329, de VF-24 subit une grève de la rampe sur l'USS Hancock (CVA-19) et explose pendant les qualifications du transporteur de nuit, tuant le lieutenant Darrell N. Eggert.

1974 – Le SR-71 Blackbird établit (et détient) le record du vol de New York à Londres en 1 heure, 54 minutes et 56,4 secondes à une vitesse de 1 435,587 milles à l'heure (2 310,353 km/h).

1974 - Le démonstrateur de la société Sikorsky S-67 Blackhawk N671SA s'est écrasé alors qu'il tentait de se remettre d'un roulis à trop basse altitude lors de son affichage au Farnborough Air Show, au Royaume-Uni, tuant ses deux membres d'équipage.

1982 – Création du Commandement spatial de l'US Air Force.

1983 – Un Boeing 747-230B de Korean Air Lines (HL-7442, vol 007) est abattu au-dessus de l'île de Sakhaline par des missiles AA-3 Anab tirés par un Su-15 Flagon soviétique piloté par Gennadi N. Osipovich. L'avion était hors cap, probablement en raison d'une erreur de navigation et avait déjà survolé la péninsule du Kamchatka. Les 23 membres d'équipage et les 246 passagers (y compris le membre du Congrès américain Lawrence McDonald de Géorgie) ont été tués.

1985 - Un Boeing Vertol CH-46D Sea Knight de l'US Navy, BuNo 151918, '72', s'écrase au décollage en raison d'une panne de moteur à bord du destroyer USS Fife (DD-991) dans l'océan Indien. L'hélicoptère a heurté le lanceur Sea Sparrow. La réponse rapide de l'équipe de contrôle des dommages de Fife a éteint les incendies et sécurisé l'hélicoptère qui pendait du côté du destroyer sous le pont de l'hélicoptère. Les 16 membres d'équipage et les passagers à bord se sont échappés sans blessures majeures. L'hélicoptère a été affecté à l'Escadron de soutien au combat d'hélicoptères 11 (HC-11) Det. 6 à bord du navire de combat USS Mars (AFS-1).

2012 - Un USMC McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C Hornet s'écrase dans une zone éloignée du Fallon Range Training Complex. Le pilote s'est éjecté de l'avion en toute sécurité.

2014 - Un hélicoptère Sikorsky CH-53 Sea Stallion du Corps des Marines des États-Unis s'écrase dans le golfe d'Aden alors qu'il tentait d'atterrir sur l'USS Mesa Verde (LPD-19). Les 25 personnes à bord ont été secourues.

Mhansen2

Membre Or

1789 – Bien que le département du Trésor des États-Unis ait été fondé le 2 septembre 1789, ses racines remontent à la Révolution américaine.

1859 - La tempête solaire de 1859 (également connue sous le nom d'événement Carrington) affecte le service de télégraphe électrique.

1862 - PSS Gypsy était un bateau à aubes à roue arrière de l'Union de 113 tonnes. Elle s'est échouée et a fait naufrage dans la rivière Sacramento, à 20 miles au sud de Sacramento, en Californie.

1863 - Le SS Rinaldo était un petit vapeur confédéré qui a été capturé par l'Union 17th Wis. Infantry Regiment sous le colonel A. G. Malloy et brûlé le 2 septembre 1863 à Trinity, en Louisiane.

1864 - Le SS Scioto était un vapeur à vis de l'Union de 389 tonnes, construit en 1848 à Huron, Ohio, qui est entré en collision avec le CSS Arctic le 2 septembre 1864 et a coulé à Dunkerque, New York.

1940 - Suite à l'accord conclu en juillet et à des négociations détaillées ultérieures, un accord est maintenant ratifié entre la Grande-Bretagne et les États-Unis par lequel la Grande-Bretagne obtient 50 vieux destroyers, vétérans de la Première Guerre mondiale, mais désespérément nécessaires pour le travail d'escorte, en échange de bases accordées à les États-Unis aux Antilles et aux Bermudes.

1943 - "Sioux City, Iowa, 3 septembre. (AP) - Les 10 membres d'équipage d'un bombardier de l'armée de la base aérienne de Sioux City ont été tués lorsque leur avion s'est écrasé à huit kilomètres de la base la nuit dernière lors d'un vol d'entraînement de routine. Les morts comprenaient le sous-lieutenant Earl G. Adkinson, Portland, Oregon, et le sergent Robert Hunter, Eufaula, Okla." Consolidated B-24E-25-FO Liberator, 42-7237, c/n 261, du 703d Bomb Squadron, Le 445th Bomb Group, piloté par le lieutenant "Atkinson", selon le rapport de crash, s'est écrasé à un mile à l'est de la base.

1943 - Boeing B-17F-40-VE Flying Fortress, 42-5977, du 540th Bomb Squadron (Heavy), 383d Bomb Group (Heavy), Geiger Field, Washington, sur un vol local de routine avec trois à bord, piloté par Robert P. Ferguson, coupe la cime des arbres sur plusieurs blocs, s'écrase sur des pins broussailleux à deux milles au sud de Geiger Field et brûle. Seuls trois étaient à bord du bombardier, selon un rapport du lieutenant R. E. Reed, responsable des relations publiques sur le terrain. Les noms ont été retenus en attendant la notification du plus proche parent.

1944 – Le pilote de la marine George Herbert Walker Bush est abattu par les forces japonaises alors qu'il termine un bombardement sur les îles Bonin. Bush a été secouru par l'équipage de l'USS Finback (SS-230) ses deux membres d'équipage sont cependant décédés.

1945 – À bord de l'USS Missouri (BB-63) dans la baie de Tokyo, le Japon se rend officiellement aux Alliés, mettant ainsi fin à la Seconde Guerre mondiale.

1945 – Quelques heures après la capitulation du Japon, Ho Chi Minh déclare l'indépendance du Vietnam de la France.

La proclamation paraphrasait la Déclaration d'indépendance des États-Unis en déclarant : « Tous les hommes sont nés égaux : le Créateur nous a donné des droits inviolables, la vie, la liberté et le bonheur ! et a été acclamé par une foule énorme rassemblée sur la place Ba Dinh à Hanoï. Il faudra cependant 30 ans avant que le rêve de Ho d'un Vietnam uni ne devienne réalité.

1945 - "La Marine et le Corps des Marines ont révélé hier soir (7 septembre) qu'un lieutenant des Marines aux commandes d'un avion de poursuite Hellcat avait disparu dans le désert de Mojave depuis dimanche. Les recherches quotidiennes effectuées par les avions de l'armée, de la marine et de la marine n'ont donné aucune trace du navire manquant ou de son pilote, le premier lieutenant Herbert L. Libbey de Tomaston, [sic] Maine. Le lieutenant Libbey a quitté Las Vegas, Nevada, à 16 h 15. Dimanche en route vers la base aérienne du Corps des Marines à Mojave. Il a été vu pour la dernière fois en train de survoler le lac Searles, près de Trona. -Le pays entre le lac Searles et Mojave est peu habité et comprend de grandes étendues non accessibles par des routes ou des sentiers. Les personnes ayant des indices sur l'endroit où se trouve l'avion ou le pilote ont été invitées à téléphoner au Mojave 140 à frais virés ou au Franklin 7321 à San Diego. La recherche militaire du lieutenant Libbey a été menée sur un territoire en constante expansion, en grande partie loin de la ligne de fuite supposée. Le bureau d'information publique de la Marine du onzième district naval à San Diego a indiqué que des points aussi éloignés que les déserts d'Inyo et du Colorado et diverses chaînes de montagnes désertiques étaient recherchés. Aucune chasse au sol n'a été effectuée. » Le lieutenant Libbey avait piloté des F6F avec VMF-124 à partir de l'USS Essex (CV-9). F6F-5, BuNo 71033, du VMF-255, épave retrouvée le 13 juin 1957. Le 1er lieutenant Herbert Lee Libbey a perdu la vie lorsqu'il s'est écrasé à 20 milles au nord de la Wildrose Ranger Station dans les montagnes Panamint.

1958 - Un C-130A Hercules (60-528) de l'US Air Force du 7406 CSS, volant d'Adana en Turquie, a été abattu près de Sasnashen, en Arménie soviétique, à environ 55 kilomètres au nord-ouest de la capitale arménienne d'Erevan par la fresque soviétique MiG-17 les pilotes Gavrilov, Ivanov, Kucheryaev et Viktor Lopatkov. Le C-130 était un avion SIGINT de Sun Valley. Les restes de John E. Simpson, Rudy J. Swiestra, Edward J. Jeruss et Ricardo M. Vallareal ont été renvoyés aux États-Unis le 24 septembre 1958. Les restes des autres membres d'équipage, Paul E. Duncan, George P. Petrochilos , Arthur L. Mello, Leroy Price, Robert J. Oshinskie, Archie T. Bourg Jr., James E. Fergueson, Joel H. Fields, Harold T. Kamps, Gerald C. Maggiacomo, Clement O. Mankins, Gerald H. Medeiros et Robert H. Moore ont été récupérés en 1998.

1965 – Le pilote d'essai John McKay a piloté le X-15 à 73 091 mètres (239 812 pieds) et à Mach 5,16.

1966 - Un U.S. Navy Grumman F-11A Tiger, BuNo 141764, de l'équipe de voltige Blue Angels, Blue Angel 5, s'écrase sur la rive du lac Ontario lors de l'Exposition aérienne internationale à Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Le pilote, le lieutenant-commandant Richard "Dick" Oliver, 31 ans, de Fort Mill, Caroline du Sud, est tué. À la sortie d'une passe en lame de couteau, suivie d'un roulis, 5 entre en contact avec la surface du lac à

500 mph et skie littéralement à travers la surface, heurtant un mur de soutènement en tôle d'acier de six pieds de haut au bord de l'aéroport de l'île de Toronto et se désintégrant. L'épave (turbine) est projetée jusqu'à 3 483,6 pieds du point d'impact initial.

1987 - Un Schweizer RG-8A, 85-0048, c/n 4, ex-immatriculation civile N3623C, planeur à moteur Schweizer SGS 2-32 modifié pour le projet de reconnaissance Grisly Hunter de l'armée américaine. S'est écrasé à Fort. Huachuca, Arizona, tuant les deux hommes d'équipage.

1991 – Le président Bush a officiellement reconnu l'indépendance des États baltes de Lituanie, de Lettonie et d'Estonie.

1993 – Les États-Unis et la Russie ont officiellement mis fin à des décennies de concurrence dans l'espace en acceptant une coentreprise pour construire une station spatiale.

1996 – Les États-Unis lancent des missiles de croisière sur des cibles de défense aérienne sélectionnées en Irak pour décourager les actions militaires de Sadam Hussein contre une faction kurde.

2004 - L'ancien YTLX-318 était un remorqueur de l'US Navy utilisé comme cible à 750 nm au SE de Hilo, à Hawaï.


Mahackeno : un ancien camp pour un nouvel âge

Mahackeno - le camp Westport Weston Family YMCA juste au sud du Bedford Centre - a une longue et riche histoire.

Il est aussi vieux que Merritt Parkway. Et aussi nouveau que les travaux qui s'y font actuellement, non loin du site de la rivière Saugatuck.

The Y opened its camp in 1938. Six years later they were offered 30 acres of land — including the site of the present camp.

Enjoying the Saugatuck River, at Camp Mahackeno back in the day.

F.T. Bedford — son of the Y’s founder, Edward T. Bedford — said his family’s trust would pay half the price, provided the town ponied up the other half.

Within a few weeks, Westporters pledged their portion: $10,000.

In March of 1945, the Y took possession of the property. That summer, 72 boys attended “Camp Bedford.” One of the highlights: a rope swing, dangling from the nearby Merritt Parkway.

A year later — at F.T. Bedford’s request — the name was changed to “Mahackeno.” That honored “Mahackemo” (with an “m”), a sachem (chief) of the Norwalke Indian tribe who in 1639 met Roger Ludlowe and traded land between the Saugatuck and Norwalk Rivers — including that very spot — for wampum and other goods.

Over the years, Camp Mahackeno grew. It added girls, a pool and other amenities. It (reluctantly) packed away the rope swing (and an enormous military-style float that it’s a miracle no one ever drowned underneath.

Summer Camp has been part of growing up for decades. In 1953, Westport artist Stevan Dohanos used Camp Mahackeno for this Saturday Evening Post cover.

This year, Mahackeno opened its new, now 34-acre facility. After a year of construction there’s a new amphitheater, archery range, climbing walls, 2 slides and 5 rainy-day pavilions.

A counselor gives an assist at a new climbing wall.

The basketball court, Beck Lodge and swimming pool have been renovated (with a new splash pad too). Playing fields were leveled.

The refurbished pool. Y members can register to swim for one hour slots on weekends.

Every tree of 8 calipers or more has been replaced by 2 new trees. Oh, yeah: the port-a-potties are shielded too.

Westport Weston Family Y CEO Pat Riemersma checks out one of several new wood chip paths.

250 or so boys and girls attend one or more of 9 week-long sessions. This being a pandemic, they remain in strict groups of 10, with the same (masked) counselor all week.

Scroll down for some photos of Camp Mahackeno, 2020. It’s not 1938 — but then again, what is?

Between canoe sessions, a counselor sanitizes railings.

Gaga is a ground-level form of dodgeball.

Two new slides are a huge hit.

The new amphitheater seats 360 campers and staff members.

No camp is complete without an archery range.

The newly renovated basketball court gets plenty of action.

Rainy day pavilions: shelter from the storm.

Share this:

Like this:

18 responses to &ldquo Mahackeno: An Old Camp For A New Age &rdquo

What a well done historical perspective you’ve provided Dan, it sure is a special place. What a much needed transformation has taken place at the former Camp Bedford!. Congrats to the Y staff and volunteer leadership for another job well done. And special thanks to Ruth Bedford for having the confidence that this YMCA would perform great miracles with her generous gift she left behind, and they sure have. Where are all the “nay-sayers” now who battled and defamed the YMCA and the volunteer leaders for so many years, while costing their town and the YMCA many valuable dollars? Even after a sales agreement for the former location was signed and sealed, (and look what that has become?) they continued to verbally assault the many dedicated volunteers who persevered because of the vision they all had of what could be. Those short-sighted critics continued on with one goal only, and that was to make sure this treasured organization would fail which would have caused this YMCA to fold and cease to exist. I am so proud of the small part that I, and the many other dedicated and talented YMCA staff who came before me and who are working there now, was blessed to have played in what currently is one of the most beautiful and mission-driven YMCAs in our country. “Well done, Good and Faithful Servants!”

My kids both went the first week and one of my kids is also attending Mahackeno this week. We did not take the decision lightly. The good news: I’ve seen what an impact some level of (safer) connection and (spread out) group activity can provide. I think the dozens of precautions the Y has taken has made this as safe as it can be, and still be camp. I signed them up after hearing the NPR news story about Y camps. I also knew our Y had months of planning to open the new camp and wellness facilities safely. They’ve been beyond careful…and have the luxury of space.

My kids both went the first week and one of my kids is also attending Mahackeno this week. We did not take the decision lightly. The good news: I’ve seen what an positive impact some level of (safer) connection and (spread out) group activity can provide. I think the dozens of precautions the Y has taken has made this as safe as it can be, and still be camp. I signed them up after hearing the NPR news story about Y camps. I also knew our Y had months of planning to open the new camp and wellness facilities safely. They’ve been beyond careful…and have the luxury of space.

How fortuitous that this new beautiful space is open just when families need it most. A wonderful renovation and 34 acres of creatively used outdoor space means that kids can get some fun in after months at home. The Y really stepped up, modifying virtually every aspect of camp for these Covid times. Kudos to the counselors smiling (behind their masks) at kids each day, and to the kids for adding joy to the new Camp Mahackeno. We all needed something to smile about!

This is a wonderful historical view of the Y. Kudos to YMCA staffers and everyone responsible who make the camp experience safe for our children at this crucial time in their lives for social and physical activity.

The Y did such a wonderful job with Camp Mahackeno, thoughtfully incorporating the much needed updates into the camp’s natural surroundings overlooking Lee’s Pond…

Thank You Bedford Family and all other donors…Generations Start Here…for the next 100 years!

My children (now 29/27) attended Camp for many years including the younger being part of the CIT program. They loved it and have memories that will last a life time! I was fortunate to have a tour in June with Pat and my 27 year old daughter. It was fun to watch my daughter’s expression as she was in total amazement at the transformation. And yes-she too had a ride down the slide and was giggling at the end. Her final comment was that she wished she could go back now as a camper!

And yes, I too can see the counselors smiling behind their masks! Congratulations to the Y. And I agree, at least for my family, Generations Do Start Here!

The Camp was Downshifters HQ during the winter. We worked on our cars (my ‘38 Ford Deluxe). We had welding tanks, and kept a pretty clean shop.

I think we called the big inflatable raft that was a waterfront feature for so many years “Moby Dick.” It was great fun to play on and around. I got all my swimming proficiency badges at Camp M. “minnow”, “fish,” “flying fish” and “shark.” Many years later a train with a special car attached picked us up at the Saugatuck train station and took us up to New Haven to the Selective Service induction center where we were all poked, prodded and otherwise evaluated for service in Viet Nam. The great thing about what would have otherwise been a very sobering experience was that many of my old buddies form Camp M. that I hadn’t seen for years were on that same train! Fortunately, everyone I knew was either exempt or came home alive.


Hidden history all around city

1 of 3 Astrid Stephenson of Norwalk, dressed in Colonial attire, points out the British Cannonball on Hillside place while she participates in a "Scavenger Hunt of Norwalk History" for her history class at Roton Middle School recently. Contributed Photo Show More Show Less

2 of 3 Roton Middle School students (l to r) David Civil, Ralph Manigat, Pierre Coffy, Kyle Davis, Jean Duron, Anthony Bombace and Emmanuel Valdovinos bring history to life at the Roger Ludlow Monument in East Norwalk during a "Scavenger Hunt of Norwalk History" for their eighth-grade history class. Contributed Photo Show More Show Less

Wendy Allen and her husband were amazed by the number of historical monuments in Norwalk that they've driven by repeatedly and never noticed in the 10 years they have lived in the city.

They recently got a history lesson when their daughter, Astrid, participated in a Scavenger Hunt of Norwalk History for her eighth-grade history class at Roton Middle School.

"I thought this was a wonderful project," Allen said. "Astrid was so excited about this assignment that she borrowed period-style clothing from my parents and actually dressed up. Going around town it was fun to watch people watch her and her friends exploring the various monuments and pose for photos."

Astrid's teacher, Dean Vaccaro, said that he and Robert Pennington have been having their students participate in this scavenger hunt around this time of year for the last four years.

For the project, students explore historic landmarks and monuments in the city that pertain to the founding of Norwalk and to the Burning of Norwalk during the American Revolution. Afterward, the students have to answer questions about the monuments.

"They have to visit the sites and have parents take an interactive `living history' picture of them playing a role, such as the role of a patriot at Calf Pasture Beach, spotting the 70 British ships approaching," Vaccaro said via email. "What is especially important about this is that parents learn about Norwalk history right along with their kids.

"So many parents tell me that they have lived here their whole lives and have driven by these landmarks and markers forever without ever knowing of their existence or relevance. So many Norwalkers do not much about the great history of this city."

The required sites for the living history project are the Roger Ludlow Monument in East Norwalk, the founding of Norwalk sign on Wall Street near Mill Hill Historic Park, the "British Invasion" placard at Calf Pasture, the Grumman's Hill Daughters of the American Revolution monument in front of the Norwalk Inn, and the Battle of the Rocks DAR monument near West Rocks Road.

Extra-credit sites include the British Cannonball and Flax Hill Monument on Hillside Place behind former Ben Franklin School, the Founding of Norwalk DAR Monument next to the East Norwalk train station, and the mural of Roger Ludlow and Chief Mahackemo in City Hall.


Hotel life returns to South Norwalk with 'sky bar' and freebies

From a rooftop deck this week overlooking Norwalk Harbor, Tom Rich reflected on South Norwalk&rsquos heyday when trains and trolleys dropped off visitors at SoNo venues like Hotel Mahackemo and the Clifford Hotel, just a stone&rsquos throw away.

Rich sees SoNo setting up for fresh glory days of prosperity &mdash and aims his newest development to be at the center of it all.

The Residence Inn by Marriott&mdashSoNo opens its doors at 3 p.m. Thursday, it&rsquos daily check-in time, with the South Main Street hotel offering about 100 suites geared toward travelers looking for kitchenettes as part of extended stays.

It is Norwalk&rsquos first new, full-service lodging venue since the 2013 opening of Hotel Zero Degrees just south of the Merritt Parkway on Main Avenue. And it is South Norwalk&rsquos first since the closure of the Roger Ludlow Hotel, built in the late 19th century as the Hotel Mahackemo on the corner North Main Street and Washington Street by real estate investor Dudley Ely, who served as South Norwalk&rsquos first mayor when it was incorporated in 1870.

It is the second big project in South Norwalk the past few years for the Stamford-based developer F.D. Rich along with the SoNo Pearl apartments around the corner on Washington Street. It represents as well F.D. Rich&rsquos second collaboration with Bethesda, Md.-based Marriott International, after building a Courtyard by Marriott that is among downtown Stamford&rsquos signature buildings.

CEO Tom Rich told Hearst Connecticut Media that his firm acquired the property prior the the 2008 recession as part of a larger South Norwalk portfolio.

&ldquoBased on our experience developing the Courtyard by Marriott . we had an idea that because of the high (walkability) of this neighborhood and proximity to the waterfront and Maritime Aquarium and restaurants, that a hotel here would be a good idea and targeted this site for it,&rdquo Rich said. &ldquoNorwalk itself is on an upward trajectory &mdash the office markets are pretty good (and) the hotel markets here are stronger than they are in Stamford.&rdquo

As the new Norwalk hotel neared completion in April, it was one of more than 1,575 hotels under construction nationally as tracked by Henderson, Tenn.-based STR, a 10 percent increase from a year ago.

&ldquoSomething like 20 percent of the hotels under construction (are) heading towards our brand,&rdquo said Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson two weeks ago on a conference call with investment analysts. &ldquoYou can see investors &mdash owners of real-estate &mdash moving with their feet, because I think they see the strength of (Marriott).&rdquo

Free breakfast, quintuple-paned glass

As designed by Norwalk-based Beinfield Architecture and F.D. Rich, the Residence Inn Norwalk is dominated by a soaring, street-level foyer where guests can congregate with bar and food service. And atop the hotel, another &ldquosky bar&rdquo will serve patrons on a rooftop deck still under construction, with seating looking out across South Norwalk and the harbor entrance to Long Island Sound. The hotel includes a restaurant open to the general public.

The Residence Inn by Marriott is only the latest addition to South Norwalk during an extraordinary period of development, the most visible being the SoNo Collection mall under construction just off Interstate 95, but with several new apartment buildings having opened the past few years and more on the way, including F.D. Rich&rsquos Harbourside SoNo on Water Street ready to begin construction in June in partnership with the Norwalk firms Spinnaker Real Estate Partners and Fuller Development.

On the South Norwalk corner once dominated by the grand edifice of the Hotel Mahackemo, the 50 Washington Street high-rise represents the lone major office structure.

But F.D. Rich CEO Tom Rich believes that the Residence Inn Norwalk will draw plenty of business travelers &mdash it is unmatched among Connecticut Marriott properties for proximity to Metro-North, with the South Norwalk Transportation Center just three blocks away opposite the city&rsquos train station &mdash as well as leisure visitors.

In addition to the kitchenettes, the Norwalk hotel includes the usual smorgasbord of Residence Inn amenities, to include conference space, free breakfast, free grocery delivery, a fitness room and a pet-friendly policy. And it includes a few other perks, to include a gaming area that will include a billiards table overlooking the main lobby quintuple-paned windows and extra sheet rock and insulation in walls to minimize noise and top-floor suites that open to exterior balconies with vistas overlooking the harbor.

The new hotel has a staff of about 25 led by general manager Dawn Gasper, who worked previously at the Residence Inn Shelton, one of a dozen Residence Inn locations in Connecticut including Danbury, Milford and Stamford.

&ldquoWe&rsquore running into June which is our busy month and we&rsquove already hit our goal for our special corporate (reservations),&rdquo Gasper said.


Yachts For Sale In Norwalk

City of Norwalk&rsquos harbor and beautiful coastline with offshore islands entice boaters to visit from all over the East Coast. Just minutes from marinas, yacht clubs, and town Visitors Docks are family-friendly attractions, fine dining, high-end shopping, and nightlife in the revitalized, trendy SoNo (South Norwalk) area. Located in southwest Connecticut on the Long Island Sound in Fairfield County, Norwalk&rsquos Norwalk River runs 20 miles south to form Norwalk Harbor where it flows into the Sound. The mouth of the river, from Wall Street to the south, shapes the Harbor. Called &ldquoThe Jewel of Long Island Sound,&rdquo much of Norwalk&rsquos history centers on the Harbor, as one of the most important areas for recreational boating and commercial shellfisheries, among other water-dependent activities. The century-old oystering industry of Norwalk endures to this day.

United Yacht Sales can help you find the perfect yacht for sale in Connecticut. Give us a call today at 1-772-463-3131 about purchasing a new boat or listing your current yacht on the brokerage market.

YACHTS LOCATED NEAR Norwalk Connecticut

68' Hargrave Open Bridge 2003

Norwalk, Connecticut, United States

60' Sunseeker Manhattan 60 2011

Branford, Connecticut, United States

60' Euromarine Jaguar 60 America 2005

Norwalk, Connecticut, United States

Stamford, Connecticut, United States

Clinton, Connecticut, United States

50' Viking 50 Convertible 2001

New London, Connecticut, United States

47' Sea Ray Sundancer 2010

Old Saybrook, Connecticut, United States

47' Viking 47 Convertible 2000

Westport, Connecticut, United States

47' Meridian 459 Motoryacht 2008

Branford, Connecticut, United States

46' Bertram 46 Convertible 1982

Norwalk, Connecticut, United States

Westbrook, Connecticut, United States

45' Viking 45 Convertible 1988

Stamford, Connecticut, United States

45' Profil Cherokee 45 1985

Norwalk, Connecticut, United States

44' Dufour 445 Grand Large 2013

Westbrook, Connecticut, United States

44' Meridian 441 Sedan 2011

Stamford, Connecticut, United States

To search for more boats for sale in Connecticut and narrow by city, you can begin here:

Norwalk was settled in 1649 and incorporated in 1651 on land east of Norwalk River purchased from Chief Mahackemo of the Algonquian-speaking Norwaake Indians in 1640. In the Battle of Norwalk during the Revolutionary War, most of the town was burned. In 1836, the borough of Norwalk was formed encompassing the central area of town. During the 19th and 20th centuries, Norwalk was a major stop on the New York-New Haven & Hartford Railroad. In 1910, the City of Norwalk and other parts of the Town of Norwalk were combined to form the current City of Norwalk. Preservation efforts led to the creation of Washington Street Historical District in South Norwalk.

Today there are 15 marinas, 13 private clubs with marina facilities, and 5 commercial port facilities that collectively offer over 1800 boat slips and over 500 mooring locations for recreational vessels in the Harbor. During the 1800s the area near Wall Street where the first commercial wharves were located, was the hub of the City. The &ldquoGreat Bridge&rdquo over the Norwalk River was where E. Lockwood & Sons had their mercantile establishment and wharf from where they shipped to all major East Coast ports and the West Indies. In the mid-1950s, major hurricanes flooded the Norwalk Harbor and much of the Wall Street business district was destroyed, to the point of changing the City&rsquos appearance. The Connecticut Thruway was built across the Norwalk River in 1958. For years, a site on the west bank south of the I-95 bridge was used as a garbage and landfill site but has now been transformed into a beautiful waterfront park&mdashOyster Shell Park, a component of Greater Norwalk Heritage Parks. The Federal Navigation Channel extends to the Wall Street area.

The Norwalk Islands are a 6-mile-long archipelago of low-lying islands and partially submerged boulders, reefs, and mudflats located about a mile off Norwalk&rsquos coast and southwest Westport, in the Long Island Sound. The Islands offer a range of recreational activities such as camping, boating, kayaking, swimming, clamming, and bird watching and are Norwalk&rsquos &ldquonatural summer playground.&rdquo About half dozen islands are privately owned, some are owned by the City of Norwalk and the Town of Westport (Cockenoe Island), and others are part of the Stewart B McKinney Wildlife Refuge. Various laws and Acts protect the islands that are a prime nesting site for migrating birds like ospreys, egrets, herons, terns, gulls, cormorants, American oystercatchers, and piping plovers. 57-acre Sheffield Island features hiking trails and the Sheffield Island Lighthouse built in 1868 and added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1969. It is also the wintering ground for harbor seals.

Sheffield Island is maintained by the Norwalk Seaport Association and is open to the public. For a nominal landing fee, boaters can drop-off and pick-up visitors at the dock. Norwalk Parks & Recreation manages Shea Island and Grassy Island with 16 campsites (seasonal May-Sept) a permit must be obtained. Copps and Betts Islands are privately owned. Tavern Island, also privately owned, was reputedly used by rumrunners in the 1920s. Chimon, Goose, and Sheffield Islands are part of the Stewart B McKinney National Wildlife Refuge system. Kayakers can launch from Calf Pasture Beach to paddle the Norwalk Island Canoe & Kayak Trail. Boaters can launch at Norwalk City ramp and Visitors Docks for boating to the islands.

The non-profit Norwalk Seaport Association was founded in 1978 by a group of local citizens with a common vision to revitalize South Norwalk and preserve Norwalk&rsquos maritime heritage. To increase awareness of Norwalk Harbor and raise funds for the non-profit, Norwalk Seaport Assoc. held the first Oyster Festival in 1978. Today the Oyster Festival is a major event, drawing an average of 90,000 and bringing $5million to the local economy and has expanded to become a community service event, benefitting other non-profits&rsquo missions. Norwalk Seaport Assoc. is the keeper of the Sheffield Islands Lighthouse. The historic lighthouse and cottage were added to the NRHP in 1989. Visitors can take the Norwalk Seaport&rsquos ferry&mdasha 49ft catamaran, to Sheffield Island to tour the historic Light during the May &ndash September season.

The Oyster Festival is held the weekend after Labor Day at Norwalk&rsquos Veterans&rsquo Park. This 43-year annual tradition is a 3-day weekend community event featuring fresh oysters and other popular food, craft beer, carnival rides, arts & crafts vendors, and much more. Oysters have been cultivated in Norwalk since the late 1800s and Norwalk became known as &ldquoOyster Town&rdquo and the oyster capital of the world! The industry crashed in the 1950s due to a series of storms and hurricanes that ravaged the oyster beds along with a waning demand for new oyster seed. Many oyster companies went out of business. In 1972 Bloom Brothers bought Tallmadge Brothers Oyster Company (established 1975) and was able to rebuild the Norwalk oyster industry as a top producer once again.

The Connecticut shoreline has more tributary rivers per linear mile than any other region of the United States, creating unique geographical features that are ideal for oysters to thrive. The intertidal flats and shoreline that oysters and other shellfish inhabit, provided a rich source of protein for Native American Tribes&mdashattested to by the myriads of shell mounds that were uncovered by archeologists. For European settlers, oysters were more than a valuable food source, they were also traded, beginning the commercial shellfish industry in the cold, nutrient-rich waters along the coast of Connecticut. Demand for the high-quality oysters led to the threat of overfishing and the industry had to be managed and cultivated. At its peak in 1911, Connecticut&rsquos oyster production topped at 25 million pounds, surpassing the combined production of its neighboring states.

Copps Island Oysters, founded in Norwalk by Norm Bloom & Son LLC in 1994, started as a one-boat operation with a crew of three. Norm learned the business of harvesting and farming oysters from his father, Norman Sr and uncle, Hillard Bloom (twin brothers) who revived the Tallmadge Brothers Oyster Co. (est. 1875) which they had purchased in 1972. Norm Sr had previously purchased unoccupied grounds to rehabilitate the industry and create new market demand. Tallmadge expanded to control 22,000 acres of shellfish grounds from Greenwich to New Haven and 2,000 acres in Delaware Bay. After Norm Jr&rsquos father passed away in 1989, Norm decided to branch out on his own and in 20 years became one of the largest privately held oyster farms on the east coast of the United States. His son and daughter joined him in business and are looking to continue the Bloom family oystering legacy.

Boaters can Dock & Dine at SoNo Seaport Seafood on the Norwalk Harbor waterfront. Established in 1984, this restaurant and fish market offers slips for small to mid-size boats, though larger vessels can dock at nearby Norwalk Visitor&rsquos Dock (fee) and walk or dinghy over to the restaurant. Indoor or outdoor family-style dining. Serves a typical seafood menu, ranging from steamed lobster dinners to whole belly fried clams, and other favorites such as fresh local oysters, shrimp calamari, steamers, chowder, lobster rolls, king crab legs, fish & chips, hamburgers, sandwiches, and more.

South Norwalk (SoNo) was once a rundown area in 1970s with vacant buildings about to be demolished. A community group formed the South Norwalk Revitalization Project to save the area and by 1977 a downtown historic district was developed, protecting 35 buildings from destruction, and in 1988, a former iron works factory on the Norwalk River was transformed into The Maritime Aquarium, a primary SoNo attraction. Today the area is an upscale, desirable destination with great restaurants, luxury condos, SkyZone Trampoline Park, Bow Tie Regent Cinemas, and SoNo Collection, a high-end experience-driven shopping mall.

A popular historical attraction is the Lockwood-Mathews Mansion built in 1864-68 for railroad and banking tycoon, LeGrand Lockwood. This Victorian-era Second Empire style country residence is a 44,000 sq ft mansion with 62 rooms and is one of the earliest and best surviving examples of the Second Empire style ever built in America. It was listed on the NRHP in 1978 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1971. The Lockwood-Mathews Mansion is located at 295 West Ave in Mathews Park, a recreational area with two museums and public tennis courts. It was used as location footage for the TV Series, &ldquoDark Shadows&rdquo (1966-1971) and the 2004 remake of the film, &ldquoStepford Wives.&rdquo

The estate was sold to Charles & Rebecca Mathews in 1876 four years after Lockwood&rsquos untimely death in 1872. The Mathews family resided in the mansion until 1938, and in 1941, it was sold to the City of Norwalk and designated a public park. The immense building was set to be demolished in the 1960s, but citizens united in a major preservation effort and succeeded in saving the historic mansion in 1965, that became the Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum of Norwalk, Inc. a non-profit corporation.

Norwalk&rsquos Visitor Docks with mooring and docking, offers transient daily and seasonal dockage. Season opened April 16, 2021. Dockmaster is on duty to collect fees&mdashdaily $40. Apply for seasonal dockage. Conveniently located within minutes to fine dining, nightlife, shopping, boutiques, museums, Maritime Aquarium & 6-story IMAX theater, library with free Wi-Fi, and more.

Norwalk Cove Marina Inc, located at 48 Calf pasture Beach Road, is a top-notch full-service marina and repair facility in a well-protected, deep water basin at the mouth of Norwalk Harbor. Features 400 slips on well-maintained floating docks, piers, and ramps. Accommodates vessels up to 138ft LOA. Fuel dock with high-speed pumps offers ValvTect gas and diesel and pump-out services. Dockmaster and security guard on premises. Amenities include private showers & restrooms, laundry facilities, WiFi & cable TV, picnic and BBQ areas, mini golf course, The Galley Waterfront Café and seasonal Sunset Grill on site, Ships Store & Nautical gift Boutique, and complimentary shuttle to South Norwalk restaurants, museums, Metro North Train station, and grocery stores. 30 & 50amp, 100amp single phase, and 100am 3-phase Shore Power is available (fees apply). Marina is across the street from Calf Pasture Public Beach, dog park, and town tennis courts. Norwalk Cove Marina offers Travelifts up to 150 tons and experienced staff of mechanics and technicians for repairs and maintenance. Apply on website or call. Restaurant dockage is $1/ft for 4 hours&mdashcall in advance of arrival.

Norwalk Yacht Club, located at 10 Nathan Hale Drive, is a casual, family-oriented sailing club established 1894 inside Greens Ledge Light in a quiet cove with a small beach. The membership club has a long tradition of racing and cruising. Marina consists of a total of 130 slips including 6 transient slips and moorings. Accommodates vessels up to 5ft LOA. Dockside depth is 8ft. Fuel dock offers diesel and gas. Amenities include water, restrooms & showers, ice, picnic tables, and grills. The marina has a 4-ton and 1-ton travel lift for launch service. The mooring field opens in May (commissioned season to Oct.) for sail and power boats of varying drafts. Visitors of reciprocal clubs are welcome to rent guest moorings. To reserve, call or book via Dockwa.com. The village of Rowayton is an easy walk from the Norwalk Yacht Club and conveniently located for kayaking and paddling to the Norwalk Islands, Village Creek, and Farm Creek. Rowayton and historic SoNo district are easily accessible by cab.

Wilson Cove Yacht Club is a membership yacht club set in a small, protected harbor in the Rowayton area of Norwalk, located under a mile from open waters of Long Island Sound. The WCYC maintains club facilities at The Boatworks marina, a full-service yacht yard with 100 deep-water slips on floating docks. Dockside depth is 6ft and marina can accommodate vessels up to 50ft LOA. The marina offers great views of the Norwalk Islands and Long Island Sound. Amenities include 30 & 50amp electric, water, ice, grills, security, and pet friendly. Restrooms and showers are on the ground floor of the facility that features a second story party room with bar service, microwave, sound system, and wrap around deck.

The Boatworks marina has a 35-ton travel lift (max. 18ft beam), 17-ton crane, and full repair service (hull, engines, props). During the 1920s and 1930s, the northernmost area of Wilson Cove was a shallow tidal basin used mostly by commercial vessels for activities like ice harvesting&mdashice was used to keep things cold before refrigeration. Harvested ice was transported from Wilson Cove to Oyster Bay on Long Island for distribution to Long Island and New York City. On the return, coal was transported for distribution to Fairfield County.

Oyster Bend Yacht Club & Marina at 23 Platt Street has 75 slips with 6 transient slips on fixed docks. Maximum slip width is 15ft and can accommodate boats with up to 36ft LOA. Dockside depth is 6ft and tide range is 8ft. Channel depth is 6ft. Amenities include 50amp and 110v electric, water, restrooms and showers, and gated docks. Pet friendly. Located in a well-protected area up the Norwalk River on the right bank of Norwalk Harbor, past Washington Street traffic and Metro North Railroad bridges, across from Oyster Shell Park. OBYC offers daily, seasonal, and annual rates go to Dockwa.com to apply for a seasonal lease. Services, fuel, and restaurants are nearby.

Total Marine of Norwalk, located at 160 Water Street, has 90 slips with 10 transient slips on floating docks for vessels up to 80ft LOA. Dockside depth is 9ft approach is 15ft. Amenities include 30 & 50amp electric, restrooms, and showers.


Mahackemo YTB-223 - History

Mercedes-Benz Classic continually produces replacement genuine parts for classic vehicles, in order to ensure the long-term availability of a full range of such parts. In addition to parts whose available stocks have run out and require to be replenished, parts which have been unavailable for some time are also manufactured. Immense efforts are involved here, as genuine parts are parts developed by Mercedes-Benz or by order of Mercedes-Benz which are produced in accordance with the company's exacting standards – and this applies equally to all reissues and replacement production. In many instances, Mercedes-Benz Classic still has access to the research and development resources and the experience acquired in prototype construction at the plants as well as the latest technical facilities for the purposes of producing genuine replacement parts. In the case of bought-in genuine parts, production is carried out where possible by the original production supplier, or by one of more than 150 certified suppliers. This guarantees one hundred percent authenticity, quality and safety for the reissue.

Some 110,000 genuine parts are currently available for classic vehicles. To render the availability of these genuine parts transparent to all interested customers, the online Classic Parts Search has been established as a swift and simple means of presenting the availability of parts with their valid prices in Germany, promotion parts and newly produced parts in a clearly arranged manner.


Nineteenth century

In 1826 the Sheffield Island Light was illuminated by oil on what was then known as"Smith Island" in Long Island Sound off the coast of Norwalk. In 1857 the light was equipped with a fourth order Fresnel lens. Then in 1868 the lighthouse structure was rebuilt as a stone tower. [ 20 ]

In 1836 the central area around Wall Street and the Green was incorporated as the Borough of Norwalk with an area slightly smaller than the present day First taxing district. [ 21 ] [ 22 ]

In January 1849 the New York and New Haven Railroad began operating between its nominal terminal citiesthrough Norwalk. In 1852 the Danbury and Norwalk Railroad connected Norwalk with Danbury. The South Norwalk station was used by both railroads. The first major U.S. railroad bridge disaster occurred in Norwalk in 1853. The engineer, Edward Tucker, carelessly neglected to check the open drawbridge signal as his one hundred and fifty passenger train approached the Norwalk River. He only realized the bridge was up within about four hundred feet of the gap, which proved to be insufficient to stop the train. The engineer and the fireman jumped from the train and then the locomotive, two baggage cars (the latter also a car for smokers) and two and a half passenger cars (the third car split when the train finally came to a stop) went plunging off the tracks into the river. Forty-six people drowned or were crushed to death, and an approximately thirty people were more or less severely injured. [ 23 ] Tucker, who survived, never overcame his feelings of guilt, and five years later committed suicide [ 24 ] . By 1872 the NY&NE merged with the Hartford and New Haven Railroad to form the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad which lasted until its merger with Penn Central in 1969. The Housatonic Railroad leased the D&N in 1887. The Housatonicwas then purchased by the NYNH&H in 1892 and the D&N became the Danbury Branch of that railroad.

Norwalk is reputed to have been one of the stops on the northward land route of the Underground Railroad. Several trunk lines emanated from New York City, a central point in the escape route, which one passing through Greenwich, Darien, Norwalk, and Wilton. Several era-houses still standing have secret chambers or passageways that could have been used to hide runaways but no documentation exists that identifies one particular house or even one area. However, tradition states that a house at 69 East Avenue was Norwalk’s stop on the Railroad. [citation requise]

Oyster farming in Norwalk peaked from the late 1800s to the early part of the 20th century. By 1880, Norwalk had the largest fleet of steam-powered oyster boats in the world, its fishermen having made the change from sails only a few years before. [citation requise] Although eventually overfishing pushed Norwalk's industry into a decline, a renaissance has been occurring since the later part of the last century, although eastern oyster diseases Dermo and MSX remain a problem for the industry. [ 25 ]

In 1871 the area known formerly known as Old Well was chartered by the state legislature as the City of South Norwalk. In 1893 the Borough of Norwalk was reincorporated as the City of Norwalk and at that time both cities were wholly within and subject to jurisdiction by the Town of Norwalk. [ 26 ] [ 27 ]


21st century

In 2002 Norwalk Superior Court was the location of the extensive media covered trial of Michael Skakel for the murder of Martha Moxley in 1975. After a four-week trial, Skakel was convicted on June 7 for the crime. On October 23, 2013, Skakel was granted a new trial by a Connecticut judge who ruled that Sakel's attorney failed to adequately represent him when he was convicted in 2002. Subsequently, On November 21, 2013, Skakel was released on a $1.2 million bond along with other conditions. In December 2016, the Connecticut Supreme Court reinstated Skakel's murder conviction with a 4-3 majority decision.

On Sunday May 25, 2008, the last service at the First United Methodist Church of Norwalk was held prior to a deconsecration ceremony that marked the end of the church use of the distinctive yellow brick building at 39 West Avenue. The Methodist congregation had been formed in 1789 during the visit by Jesse Lee, but is survived by three other Methodist churches in the city.


Voir la vidéo: La Cigarra y la Hormiga Nuevo Animado en Español. Cuentos infantiles para dormir (Septembre 2022).


Commentaires:

  1. Jaeden

    Au lieu de critiquer, écrivez les variantes.

  2. Cha'tima

    Vous avez tort. Je peux défendre ma position. Envoyez-moi un e-mail en MP, nous parlerons.



Écrire un message

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos